Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Acrylic Painting


Original picture
 Okay, I have to admit that this one made me nervous. The assignment was to paint a picture using the color we chose for our value scale.  I picked what I hoped was a relatively easy picture to paint. It is a simple flower in a small vase surrounded by a few rocks and water. The color I chose was red because that is my favorite color. Once the outline was sketched out, I decided on the lightest shade and started there. The picture went pretty smooth and easier than I expected because there were large patches of color rather than a lot of small patches.



Me concentrating

It was a bit difficult deciding which shade to use on the non-red portions of the picture but having my value scale nearby made it easier.  When I finished the large areas, I went and added shading and highlights. I then lined the different items in the picture to make them stand out. Once I felt I could not do anything else to improve it, I stopped.  I am very happy with the painting.




 


Final painting

This was my very first time painting with acrylics and I enjoyed it very much. In fact, I am already planning my next painting!

3 comments:

  1. It looks Great! The perspective is nice and gives it a larger look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this painting, nice work! The simple shape and color contrast with the darker background and dark round shapes is great. I like how you added the darker lines to the dark pink around the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very nice monochromatic painting. You worked from an image with good contrast; highlights and rich dark tones, which make the piece really strong.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete